Monday, March 17, 2008

Donate Blood...Save Lives

I've always wanted to do it, but due to my body weight that had never met the ideal value for my height, I've always been rejected. I felt frustrated especially during the time when my dad needed 20 bags of packed RBCs and fresh frozen plasma, and I couldn't give a part of me to prolong his life. But just today, I was able to persuade the med tech people who were doing the screening to allow me to donate my blood (it actually took a lot of smile and charms to let my weight of 44 kilograms pass through). However, they allowed to get only an aliquot of blood, about 250 mL, which is the typical amount used for pediatric patients. But at least, I am now a proud blood donor! I can now save lives! (or a life of a neonate, maybe)

No comments: